Silver bin recycling collections
Unsure about what items can go in your silver bin?
Around half of your waste should be eligible to go in!
|Paper - newspapers, envelopes,
magazines, catalogues, yellow
pages, directories, junk mail,
|Paper towels - kitchen roll,
tissues, wet paper, photos
|Cardboard - cereal boxes, egg
boxes, cardboard tubes, toilet
roll tubes, cardboard boxes, food
|Drinks cartons - Tetrapak,
|Food tins - drinks cans, empty
aerosol cans, steel cans,
aluminium cans, pet food cans
|Foil - foil trays, foil takeaways
trays, crisp packets, pet
Plastic bottles and yoghurt pots -
drinks bottle, cleaning product
bottles, bleach bottles, shampoo
bottles, ketchup bottles, milk
bottles, yoghurt pots, margarine/
|Plastic food trays and wrapping -
plastic bags, carrier bags, food
trays, meat trays, fruit punnets,
bottle tops/lids, cling film,
Print off the Are you Bin Smart? - reminder for your fridge (PDF File, 322kb) and stick it on your fridge for a handy reference.
Please take care not to contaminate your bin
Contamination is when the wrong thing goes in the wrong bin. Even if just one wheeled bin contains the wrong thing, the whole load collected on that round could be rejected and sent to landfill. This wastes the effort of residents and costs additional amounts to the council.
Glass cannot be placed in your silver bin but you can take it to one of our bottle bank sites.
Find your nearest site: Bottle banks and recycling sites (PDF File, 315kb)
Plastics can be tricky as not all plastic types can be recycled by Veolia. For example we cannot currently accept plastic food trays and punnets, plastic bags, plant pots or bubble wrap.
Silver bin collections
- Present your bin by 6am to ensure it is emptied
- Ensure the bin is safely accessible from the edge of your property and does not cause an obstruction
- Take your bin back in promptly, as leaving it out can block pavements making it difficult for disabled people and pushchair users.
- If needed we can help you move your bin please contact us to arrange assistance
- If we miss your collection, contact us as soon as possible
- Mark your bin with your name and address
- If you have any cardboard packaging that's too large for your silver bin, and you are unable to break it down so that it fits within the bin, leave it securely at the side of your silver bin and we will pick it up with your normal collection.
- If you live in a household of 6 or more you may be entitled to a larger bin. Please contact us for more information on this.
Missed silver bin
We are not able to return to empty missed silver bins, please put out any extra recyclable waste in a cardboard box on your next recycling collection day, or you can take extra recyclables to your nearest recycling centre.
My bin has gone missing - what should I do?
If you need a replacement bin contact our customer services team. We can make a discretionary charge for missing or damaged bins.
Glass recycling collections
We are not currently considering the introduction of a kerbside glass recycling service for two main reasons.
We already deliver a successful glass recycling service based on community bring sites (bottle banks) located around the district. This is a practicable and workable solution for a large rural district council like Newark and Sherwood. Currently glass cannot be recycled through the Mansfield MRF (Materials Recovery Facility) run by Veolia. We have a separate contract for its disposal via local community-based bottle banks. Current figures indicate that we are diverting around 60% of the total glass used by residents and businesses away from the general waste stream. This is comparable with kerbside systems.
The cost of introducing a kerbside glass system requiring additional bins, vehicles and manpower is huge. It is difficult to produce a business case that justifies the cost of such a service when considering the additional amount of glass that could be collected over and above that which we already capture.